About Me

My photo
I grew up at the base of the Teton Mountain Range in Idaho, in the most beautiful valley in the world. I started riding a horse as soon as I could walk and spent most of my summers riding horse bareback and singing at the top of my lungs all day long. I helped on the farm/cattle ranch that I grew up on, driving tractor and changing sprinkler pipe. At 14 I got a job cleaning motel rooms, then got the best job in the world, working for the Forest Service, counting people at the trail heads. I would spend the entire day sitting in the forest counting the number of people that went on hikes on certain trails. Sometimes I got to hike up into the back country and spend 10 days at a time and count the number of people that came up there. I did that for 3 summers during my high school years. It was awesome!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Music

"Let Adversity Make You A Better Person"

My life has always been surrounded by music.  When I was young I started playing the guitar and singing.  I remember my first "performance" was at an assembly at Victor Elementary School in the 3rd grade.  I played the guitar and sang...probably something like Home on the Range.  The guitar was bigger than I was.  But from then on I never missed an opportunity to play my guitar and sing....at reunions, at camp, at assemblies, and anything else anyone would ask me to sing at.  My friends and I started singing together.  At one time there was Cheri Freeze, JaNae Hill, D'Nell Ripplinger and I singing together.  Then it kind of just dwindled down to Cheri and I.  Cheri had a beautiful voice and could harmonize with anyone.  She made me sound good.  We were able to perform for several programs.  Those are some of my best memories!!! 

One of the first times that Jeff and I first met each other we were both playing our guitars and singing.  After we were married we performed together for church programs and even sang at a wedding or two.  As the boys came along we tried to pass music on to them.  Music has been a huge part of our families' life!

About 10 or so years ago our family started performing as a group doing Cowboy music.  Jeff played the guitar and sang vocals, Ryan was our bass player, Tom our fiddle player(he played the spoons too), and Bobby and I sang.  I wish we had started a little earlier cuz' we might have been able to get Ben to join in with us.  We had so much fun.  As the kids got older they just got busier though and it just sort of fizzled out.  But a couple of weeks ago Jeff, Tom, and Bobby performed again for the first time in about 5 years for a charity program in town.  It was awesome and I wanted to share it with you.

Here are the two numbers that they performed that night:
Ponies
Texas Plains

Never pass up the opportunity to cry when you hear a beautiful song!

Until next time!  Becky




No comments: