About Me

My photo
I grew up at the base of the Teton Mountain Range in Idaho, in the most beautiful valley in the world. I started riding a horse as soon as I could walk and spent most of my summers riding horse bareback and singing at the top of my lungs all day long. I helped on the farm/cattle ranch that I grew up on, driving tractor and changing sprinkler pipe. At 14 I got a job cleaning motel rooms, then got the best job in the world, working for the Forest Service, counting people at the trail heads. I would spend the entire day sitting in the forest counting the number of people that went on hikes on certain trails. Sometimes I got to hike up into the back country and spend 10 days at a time and count the number of people that came up there. I did that for 3 summers during my high school years. It was awesome!

Saturday, September 18, 2010

You Just Never Know

"Let Adversity Make You A Better Person"

It's 2 o'clock in the morning and I've been awake for about about half an hour just thinking.  My eyes are burning from crying.  Last night I got a phone call from a friend of mine.  I hadn't heard from her in awhile.  She said, "You have been on my mind alot lately.  I really felt like I needed to call you.  I didn't know if I needed to tell you something or you needed to tell me something."  I said, "What's going on?"  She said, "I have breast cancer."

She's known since April, it has spread into her lymph glands, she has had surgery and she has been through several chemo treatments so far.  She will have one more chemo treatment then radiation, then more chemo treatments.

It's not unusual that I wouldn't know.  We do live close, within about 3 miles, but our paths don't cross that often.  But we became very close friends about 25 years ago.  We spent many hours a day either with each other, walking together, or talking on the phone, at that time of our lives.  We were pregnant with our sons at the same time of our lives about 23 years ago.

As I have been laying here thinking, with that 10 years of our lives flashing through my mind, I am wondering what the statistics are for cancer rates?  One in how many?  Then I think back on the people in my life that I have known that have had cancer...there are alot and as of yet, most have survived.  My Dad has survived colon, liver, lymph cancer from almost 30 years ago when the odds were really stacked against him.  A friend I grew up with as a child is a breast cancer survivor of many years.  My Mom is a survivor of thyroid cancer of many years and then just went through chemo treatments this past year for lymphoma that had spread through a large portion of her body, and she is now in remission.  My daughter-in-law has come through thyroid cancer and two surgeries this past year and is a survivor.

I suppose a person could die from other causes IF it were their time to go, but boy, I don't know, when you hear that word "cancer" something just rings a really loud bell in your head that "hurts".

To my friend right now.....hang in there.  I don't know why you are the one that is having to deal with this, but you have been chosen.  Maybe it's because He knows that you can handle it.  My love, my thoughts, my prayers go out to you and your family.  Bless you!

May we all be a little more understanding of those less fortunate than ourselves.

Until next time!  Becky

No comments: